Saturday, May 13, 2006

A day of Junkin'

In the little city of Beebe, AR there is an outdoor flea market (called a swap meet in other states)on Saturday mornings. There are regulars that have booths and set up every weekend. They sale all sorts of things ranging from plants, salvage groceries, produce, lawn equipment, food, etc. Then there are people who are looking to get rid of junk laying around the house or are out to make a few dollars.

Jody collects junk from yard sales and auctions and sets up on occasion. He has a fun time doing it, and it's great supplemental income. Back in the day (before we had kids) I would set up at the market with him and sale baby clothes. I prefer to go in the spring and the fall, before it is too hot or to cold.

This morning I got to go for the first time in quite a while. I had a couple of tubs of baby clothes in my shed that I needed to get rid of and MIL offered to watch the kids. Sounded like a good deal to me.

A sign that you are a hard core junker is when you get up at 4:15am in order to get to the market for the best deals. Jody is a hard core junker. And because I am the spouse of a hard core junker, I had to get up at 4:15am too. This is not as easy task when you are sleep deprived and incredibly tired. The thunderstorm that rolled through right before we had to get up didn't help matters either.

After the rain passed through it turned out to be a beautiful day. The rain kept a lot of sellers at home which made business good for us. People were out to buy today. Gas prices are dropping and you'd be amazed at how that effects sales. I ended up selling a good portion of my baby clothes. I made a little over $30, not bad considering I didn't charge over a dollar for anything. Jody did even better. But he has a gift for this kind of thing. I don't call him a hard core junker for no reason.

No comments: