Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Adventures with Paxton

What an adventure we have had over the last few days. We went over to my friend's house for a party on Saturday. I changed Paxton around 4 or 5 and noticed he had spots all over him. At first I freaked out and thought he had chicken pox, but I realized they were more like welts. I checked him again around 8 and they had spread and were bigger. We gave him a bath, rubbed hydrocorizone all over him, and gave him a dose on Benadryl.

The next morning, his spots had turned into giant welts all over his body. His eye was even swollen. I called my dad and he said take him to the ER if it's effecting his eyes. So we went and they told me he was having an allergic reaction to something. We had no idea to what. The only thing I could think of was I gave him Benadryl for the first time Saturday morning. And what do they say to give him: Benadryl. He was also given a 5 day dose of steroids. His welts were looking a little better at bath time Sunday night.

Well Paxton didn't sleep well at all that night. And neither did I since he wanted company. Monday morning we got up and he had more welts and they looked worse. I called his ped and got him an appointment asap. The ped agreed that it looked like a reaction to something Paxton ate or drank. He told me to use dye free Benadryl because if he was allergic to it, most likely it was the dye. On the way home I realized that I had made Cherry Sensation Juicy Juice on Thursday or Friday, and I hadn't made it in a while. And Paxton had some during the night on Sunday which would explain why the welts got worse over night. So we trashed the juice and don't plan on getting any more any time soon. So his welts have almost completely faded and we got a little more sleep last night.

Here are some pictures of him on Monday:




















Fast forward to today. We were at gymnastics, and Paxton was being naughty so I pulled him by his wrist and arm, nothing hard just to get him to come sit by me. He started crying and saying his arm hurt. He sat on my lap and wouldn't move. He was cradling his arm, and whenever I touched it he would start bawling. They gave me an ice pack to put on it, but it didn't help. So after gymnastics was over I took Paxton to the doctor for the 3rd time in 4 days. Turns out he had what they call nurse maids elbow where the elbow pops out of the socket. They did this little maneuver thing to pop it back in and he was good to go. They went ahead and did x-rays to make sure everything was ok but I knew he was fine because he instantly started climbing everything and running around like crazy. I'm so relieved I didn't break my kid's arm. I've even gotten on to Jody in the past to be careful with the kids because you can pop their arms out of their sockets.

So now I'm tired. Jody's been out of town. I feel like I can't catch up on lost sleep. And I want to put Paxton in a bubble. Maybe, hopefully, the rest of the week will be a little less exciting. Or at least won't require a trip to the hospital.

No comments: