Thursday, June 29, 2006


Thirteen Reasons I Go to Nebraska for the 4th of July


1. I grew up on an Air Force base where we weren't allowed to do fireworks. The military put on a pretty good show every year and that was it.
2. When we moved to the farm we got to experiment with shooting off our own fireworks. We spent about $20 and had a good time putting on our own little show.
3. The first 4th of July after we moved to Nebraska, we were ready to party with our $20 sack of fireworks.
4. Little did we know that the city would turn into a virtual war zone at dusk with fireworks going off everywhere.
5. And I'm not talking the cheap little fireworks. I'm talking fireworks that are a hundred dollars a pop.
6. I can still remember the shock and amazement I felt watching the fireworks from the top of a hill near my parent's home.
7. A haze actually hung over the city by the end of the night from all the smoke.
8. The next year we were much better prepared.
9. I think my brother is on a first name basis with the owners of a fireworks outlet store in Missouri. Yes, he's a pyro and has bought that many fireworks.
10. The only 4th of July I've missed since my family moved to Nebraska is when Olivia was born. Celebrating the 4th of July in Arkansas will never be the same.
11. The 4th is a day long event at my parent's house. The guys blow up lady fingers and such until night fall and then the real fun begins.
12. Let's just say we spend a little more then $20 on fireworks these days.
13. I can't wait until the 4th of July is here!!!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the game is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



No comments: